Friday, May 24, 2013

My life in a bag

Hello Gorman bag


So, I thought it would be fun for us to play a little game called 'What's in Sarah's bag' where I empty my bag of junk/the bag I take around with me to uni etc, take photos of everything, and we collectively analyse each item and create assumptions about what said items mean.

This game is also called 'I don't want to do my French work or art history readings so am going to take pretty pictures of hand cream instead for my blog because blogging is an important part of my life and I'm fulfilling my dream to write instead of focusing on my degree'.

Sounds fun, yes?

Well, this is what we're doing today, so I hope you find it equally as enjoyable as I already am.



Figure 1.
The very large second volume of my
Art History readings

Yes, you read correctly. Second volume of readings. This, my friends, is just half of the reading required of art history students, and it's the smaller half as well. You may recall me mentioning the stacks of reading for uni (as above as well). Well, here it is, my friends. Basque in all its glory. You might be lucky to find a notation on this page as well.

Maybe.


Figure 2.
Pretty kikki.K notebooks

Stationary is something that I love. Love. So, in an effort to increase my enthusiasm for returning to study (although, I'll admit, I was pretty excited to go back), I decided kikki.K notebooks were the way to go. The colours were such pretty shades of pastel pinks and yellows; how could you resist?! Clearly, I couldn't, hence the photo above. Needless to say, the purchase of said items did little to augment my desire to study.


Figure 3.
Pens and stationary left to roll around
in my bag without a pencil case to
contain them


I once owned a pencil case. In fact, I still do, and I believe it is somewhere on my desk amongst all the jewellery, books and pieces of paper left lying there. There's nothing wrong with it; it's a sweet little Cath Kidston floral pencil case. However, after a couple of weeks of uni, I decided "Who needs a pencil case? Not I!" Apparently living free of a pencil case would fill me with a sense of empowerment.

I can do anything!

This pencil case serves no purpose!

Who created such an object?

I clearly did not think about the usefulness of a pencil case and the use for which it was designed.

I have hence lost many, many pens.

As a side note, I bought the ruler in Paris at Versailles! I couldn't resist the little Marie Antoinette figures all lined up along the measurements.



Figure 4.
My slightly tattered copy of Huck Finn

I'm actually not sure how my copy of Huckleberry Finn has become so tattered and so quickly. I've been reading it for a couple of weeks, and it's already looking a lot worse for wear.

However, I'm one of those people who loves it when books become all creased and yellowed; they have so much more character - they've been loved! My copy of Catcher in the Rye is so yellowed and lovely and scratched and loved.

I'm weird, aren't I?


Figure 5.
Jono Hennessy glasses

The famous glasses.

Need I say more?

I think enough has been said of these glasses.

Also, Jono Hennessy is great.


Figure 6.
Plum sunnies from Witchery

For years, I was convinced that sunglasses did not suit my face.

I am now convinced that, for years, sunglasses were just bad; there were no nice shapes.

However, last year, I rediscovered sunglasses, and also realised that Witchery makes such lovely shaped eyewear, that I now own not one, but two pairs of sunnies from there.

What a turnaround!


Figure 7.
Beautiful, beautiful Nancy Bird busting
at the zip

Busting at the zip indeed! How I fit so much into such a small item, I do not know. I carry my life in this wallet - probably because I have too many bags that don't have pockets or compartments where I can put things like lip balm etc.

In fact, I won't even go into the details of what one might find in this lovely Nancybird wallet; that might require an entirely separate post altogether.


Figure 8.
My slightly weathered Lululemon
drink bottle

Goodness knows how long I've had this water bottle.

Actually, I think I bought it in Year 11.

Scrap that.

I've had this drink bottle for a long time, as you can probably tell from the many bumps and scratches (aka. dents) it has acquired over the years.

It may be metal (and therefore becomes quite heavy when full of water), but I carry it everywhere.

Maybe people will think I'm into fitness or something; it is Lululemon after all.

We all know this is false.

But it's all about the image, my friends.

I also just like the water bottle.


Figure 9.
Hello sensitive skin

Ah, the perils of having sensitive skin.

From the photo above, you're probably gaining a sense of the fact that, through the items I carry in my bag, I'm a bit of a mum.

I carry a water bottle, just in case, and I also carry not only one tube of moisturiser, but two.

At uni, when someone complains of being thirsty, there's my water bottle.

If someone has dry hands, here comes my moisturiser.


Figure 10.
Hand cream explosions are messy

So bloody messy.

I now carry this tube of moisturiser in a plastic bag for fear it might explode once again, because, yes, one night after work when I was ready to go back to a friend's house, it decided 'now is the time to explode in Sarah's Gorman cloth bag and get everywhere all over her possessions and into the material'.

Yet, I still can't seem to tear myself away from the moisturiser.

It must always be with me!

I'm possessive, I know.



Well, to sum up, I guess you may have gaged the fact that I'm a bit of a mum when it comes to carrying lots of things in my bag, like water, moisturiser etc.

Either that or there's something weird going on in my subconscious that won't allow me to leave things at home.

You be the judge.

Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment