Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Do I look smart in these glasses?

I recently acquired a pair of glasses, mainly for when my eyes are tired and for use in front of the computer screen, as I have them perched on my nose at this moment, or for when doing large amounts of the reading I should probably be doing for uni but rarely seem to get to. I spent a long amount of time in a little boutique on Smith St finding the perfect glasses: small enough for my face that they don't look ridiculous and classic tortoise shell that fades to clear at the bottom. And it's only right that I should spend so long finding such glasses; after all, like a haircut, glasses do frame your face.

And your personality it seems.

Indeed, it has only been since wearing my glasses that I feel the representation I've been giving of myself to others may well have changed in some way.

My sister, a pretty, blonde, blue-eyed dietician working in a hospital, insists upon wearing her glasses upon her head at all times at work, though she only really needs them for the computer. Yet, to avoid being seen as a pretty girl who has no idea what she's doing, wearing a pair of glasses on her head helps her to present herself as knowledgable and professional.

I, too, must admit to wearing my glasses on my head when I'm at work; working at a bookstore, I simply look more bookish with glasses on, and this seems to instil a sense of confidence within our customers. Maybe they'll actually take my recommendation! Maybe they'll take me more seriously! I do look like a small, 12-year-old child, so anything that will help make me look more experienced and intelligent I'll take!

So, it seems I can not help but ask: do stereotypes govern our society? Are we so easily persuaded by little details that we see in others? If a girl is blonde and blue-eyed, does that mean she's simply a pretty girl? If I wear glasses, am I bookish?

Turns out, I am somewhat bookish, so I guess my little experiment hasn't quite worked out as planned. However, in my sister's case, of course, she is an intelligent and successful dietician, glasses or no glasses.

But, I can not help but add: I did like books before the glasses.

Sarah




No comments:

Post a Comment