Sunday, May 5, 2013

Xristos anesti



You've probably been wondering, "Sarah promised us food on this blog. Where is the food? I see no food. Only rants. Lots of ranting. And angst." And, that's where Greek Easter comes into this.

Ah, hello there Greek Easter, one of the most wonderful times of the year when I'm supplied with the most extraordinary amount of extraordinary food and I spend the day consuming such food.

Fantastic.

Even my half-Lebanese best friend gets to pretend she's Greek for the day, and who wouldn't enjoy that? My life is My Big Fat Greek Wedding pretty much, and that is one fantastic film.

Now, for the food.

As I have mentioned, my mum has published cookbooks - someone asked for one at work the other day (I work in a bookshop, remember?) and I got so excited that a customer was asking for it I almost squealed.

Anyway! You can imagine the sheer level of deliciousness of her food, especially at Easter time. I'm salivating at the thought of it.

Just last night, my best friend and I were trying to organise a quiet wine night for in a couple of weeks at my place, and she commented on the similarities between my mum and I, especially as I love hosting and force-feeding my friends just as much as she does, only without the level of expertise and experience that she of course possesses having played hostess and force-fed for years.

I love that I can be compared to my mum in this way. The feeding and I guess the act of being generous and making people welcome in your home and everything that comes with hosting an event like Greek Easter is what I love most about the culture.

So, to finish off, enjoy a few pictures of the ridiculously amazing spread my mum put on today and drool away.

Mama bear in the kitchen

Turkish delight ice-cream with rose petals

Sipping Greek coffee and unsuccessfully
attempting to read our futures
Sarah

P.S If you enjoyed drooling over my lunch, you should definitely check out my mum's website for more info about her books and photos of more food to drool over.

No comments:

Post a Comment