Saturday, May 4, 2013

Mark Twain, you got it going on.

It took me all of first year to get used to uni, and, my goodness, is it different to school.

But, unfortunately, my first year of uni clearly had no real effect upon my study habits and ability to read any large amount of pages among pages of articles and books.

As you may remember, I was sort-of-attempting to read Poe last week.

Fail.

Read 50 pages - 50 fantastic pages that I thoroughly enjoyed - and then stopped.

Bam.

Sorry, Edgar.

Now, since I promised posts about books, here we are: a post about the literature I'm currently attempting to read or should be reading or at least attempting this semester.

Well, Poe failed, and this saddens me. This was a novel I was so looking forward to reading: where is my motivation? Goodness knows.

However, I'm excited to announce, I'm currently reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

Mark Twain, you are fabulous. Seriously.

Beginning to read this novel was just like beginning to read The Catcher in the Rye, my all-time favourite novel - don't even get me started on this one. Actually, maybe I should prepare you now by saying, at some point, I will probably dedicate an entire post to the analysis of this wonderful, wonderful piece of literature. So, be ready: I will be getting into depth and getting way too enthusiastic discussing youth and innocence and adolescence and so on.

Anyway.

As I was saying, beginning to read this novel reminded me of reading Salinger. The voice of Huck Finn gets you right from the start, for want of a more eloquent expression. I can hear him in my head just as I can hear Holden complain about the goddamn phonies in New York.

Obviously, it's a classic, so I don't even need to tell you how fantastic it is and that you should all read it as there is clearly something about this novel that has made it a classic and thus still accessible to audiences today.

But, truly, Mark Twain knew what he was doing.

Sarah.



No comments:

Post a Comment